Thursday, July 29, 2010

Of all things...Why burlesque?

I say why not burlesque! :) I love to dance, love love love it! When I was a wee lass I was a ballerina and danced for many years, practicing until I got blisters and the big pay off of dancing on stage. As years went by and as I grew up I didn't have the natural ballerina body, so no more ballet for me.

What's a girl to do? I wanted to get out of the house, movin to the groove, but nothing sounded right. Modern dance? No. Hip Hop? Not for me. Belly Dancing.... maybe, but the classes were a bit pricey. Then I found burlesque. Hummm.....really? I thought well, why not give it a go. It was a series of 12 classes and if I didn't like it I was done.

And now I say, why not burlesque!!! All shapes, sizes and forms are whole heartily welcome. Not once since this adventure began have I ever felt not good enough or not pretty enough. Once you learn the basic shimmy, shake, the bump and grind, the rest is up to your imagination. As a beginner, I like that if I'm on stage and don't remember every little step no one knows except me! I feel that as long as I'm hitting my ques and I'm getting cheers then, that's good for now.

For me it's easy to learn steps and stay in time to the music, doing a dance that someone else is teaching me. The challenge comes when I'm the one that has to come up with the choreography. When the kicks, turns and shimmys are all reliant on when I want them to happen, that's tough.
And that's the fun challenge burlesques lets me enjoy.


And the costumes! Oh My! How I love the glamor. Some costumes I've seen on stage, YouTube and in photographs are amazing. The sparkle and dazzle of a show stopping costume just really make all eyes turn. I love the corsets, garters and stockings that get to be worn. As a modern woman I never got to feel how feminine it feels to wear these things until now. Also, where can you get to wear such creative, colorful and sexy things?



For me, burlesques is like skydiving. I'm terrified to do it, but once I take that leap...it's exhilarating!



xoxo

Dangerous Delilah



No comments:

Post a Comment